Tuesday, June 10, 2014


When did this happen?

 

Most of us who have “grown up” often wonder to ourselves…”When did this happen? Last I remember I was on a playground having fun and now I look in the mirror and there is this old person…?

My question isn’t when… my question for us is WHY?

Why do let ourselves “get old.” I am not talking about physically but the person on the inside. We cant really stop the body from aging (yes, we can buy potions, lotions and surgery to try and stop it…but it is still going to happen).  The body we can do nothing about… but we actually let ourselves “get old.” We try to justify it by saying – “I have matured.” Or we say – “I have outgrown those childish things…”   but being childlike and being childish are two different things. We can be childlike and yet not be childish. We can grow old yet remain like a child. I know a few Senior Saints who are not childish; they are not getting any younger… BUT THEY HAVE CHOSEN to be childlike. And let me tell you, to see their child like enthusiasm and childlike smile and attitude is vibrantly refreshing.  Their hair may be gray but their spirit is a sunny yellow. They may move more deliberately and slower but their spirit is as adventurous as a kindergartner on a playground. Their “childlikeness” makes my heart happy.  

Why do we choose to grow old? Why do we choose to let our spirits grow old? Why do we let ourselves cease to be childlike?

Listen to Jesus’ own words –  

“and said, “Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.”  Matthew 18:3

“Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” Mark 10:15

LIKE CHILDERN – LIKE A CHILD

Last night and the next three days a group from our church will be surrounded by lots of children… and I hope I can learn from them… simple, childlike things that I saw on the first night. Things like –

Laughter without being self-conscious

Acting silly and not caring what anyone thinks

Dancing like no one was there

Hugging with abandon

Trusting others around me

Laughing more (yes, I mentioned this already)

Enjoying the flow not just going with it

Singing out loud

Happy with the small things (like two popsicle sticks and a piece of wax paper or a plastic bottle filled with colored rice)

Believing open heartedly

Holding someone’s hand when sad

 

WOW… what a place the body of Christ would be if we truly “become like children.”

 

Not when did we let this happen… but why…why did we let ourselves grow old and rigid and grumpy and why did we forget to praise with childlike abandon…why cant we be more like children….

I know you may have heard – “I may have to grow old but I don’t have to grow up.” If growing up means losing the child like things, simple joyful childlike things – then I don’t want to grow up. I want to be a child of God.

 

Jesus, please make me like a child today……………………

No comments:

Post a Comment